Sunday, October 24, 2010

Nature Bags

We take lots of nature walks. Whether it be around the block here or at a park or preserve, we walk and get out in nature a lot. At the change of seasons, I ask the boys if they can see any signs of the approaching season. So if its winter, I ask them if they see signs of spring. If its summer I ask them if they see signs of fall.

I love the whole thing... except being the one who has to carry all the bits of nature home in my pockets or bag. Plus, those delicate things break easily in my bag. So... Nature Bags! It was a perfect time to see the idea in my Earth Schooling curriculum. I could get some sewing in our home school plan, as well as some one finger knitting with Aidan.

pinecone


acorn


fronts
nature bags1

They both chose purple backings. Aidan picked a light green front and wanted a pine cone on his, and Ciaran picked a darker green front and wanted an acorn on his. They glued on the cut outs and later I had to restitch them on, because the glue didn't hold. Note to self... experiment with glue and felt.

nature bags3nature bags 2


They both sew quite well. Ciaran is a bit faster because Aidan is a Chatty Cathy. :)


We added little sewing projects on the front as pockets. Aidan's is a picture frame pocket and Ciaran's is an apple. Aidan picked up one finger knitting pretty quickly, and did one of the straps on his bag. This took us a few weeks to work on, but we finished....


nature bags finished


.... in perfect time for our trip to Avalon to collect leaves with our co-op, Little Spirit Garden.


PhotobucketPhotobucket



It was a good day.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket



PhotobucketPhotobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket






Photobucket

Photobucket




Photobucket
Photobucket


It was also my block to tell the story... I hose The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid Of Anything. Story post to come...

1 comment:

  1. Love the bags! What a cute idea, and it inspired me. We might add in some sewing if it appeals to Walter.

    ReplyDelete