Sunday, October 24, 2010

Homemade Pasta

Recently I found an old Italian cookbook printed in 1968 in the cabinets over my fridge. It was good timing being that the season of Samhain is almost upon us and I was thinking about cooking more closely to my Italian heritage (even though I've now learned that including German, I have Scottish and Irish ancestry!!)

The recipe for making pasta was something Aidan and Ciaran wanted to do, so we gave it a shot.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Start with a cup and a half of flour (ignore the while flour... I tried to at least!)

Photobucket

Add an egg plus one egg white.

Photobucket

Start kneading to combine egg and flour.

Photobucket

This is where it got crazy considering 2/3 of the chefs were under 6 years old. Notice baby dragon in the danger zone of flour messiness. Those 2/3rds also got freaked out by the sticky nature of the dough at this point and went to wash up. Next time I'll spray their hands with some cooking oil or something.

Photobucket

Dough should form and be 'glossy and shiny'. Mine really wasn't. It was like a brick!

Photobucket

I rolled it out as best as I could, but it didn't get to paper thin as the recipe called for. It kept wanting to shrink back. This is where a pasta machine would help!

Photobucket

Roll it up...

Photobucket

... cut into thin slices...

Photobucket

.. and unroll the slices before the pasta has time to dry.

Photobucket

This is what Aidan and Ciaran did while Mom was cooking. Bowling with walnuts collected on our nature walk. More play with natural items... and Ciaran sans clothing, as usual.

Photobucket

They Enjoyed dinner... except Ciaran didn't like the pasta.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mine...

Photobucket

Theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment