Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Ancestors

Yesterday, before we went on a nature walk at Avalon, we took a trip up the road to a few old burial grounds. The first one is right in Centereach. Its this little church right on what's now a super busy road (middle Country Rd) right smack in the middle of a bunch of stores. I took some photos with my manual camera (as I really want to start working on my cemetery book again)... it felt good to get on the ground, find the right angles... basically use that photography degree I have! :) This was all shot on regular 35mm film. I can't remember when i last did that.

Most of the graves were from the 1700-1800's. There was even a soldier buried there who served in the Spanish American War of 1898. I've seen many soldiers graves but not one from that conflict.

Aidan and I talked about who they might have been, how long they'd been buried there. Since October is here and the time of Samhain (remembering our ancestors) is approaching I thought it was a good way to connect to that, plus I think the distance of time puts a not so upsetting twist on it for him. I don't want him to be afraid of course, but I don't want to shield him either.

  Thesepeople might not be our blood ancestors, but they did live here on Long Island so long before us. There was a real sad grave there... it was for two infants of George and Mary Campbell, named Mary and George. I assume they were twins. The grave didn't seem to have a date though, unless is sank too deeply into the ground (part of me wanted to dig but I didn't want to get the five-oh on my butt either... me digging in a cemetery and two in the afternoon. Good idea!). I assume is was the early 1800's considering those around them. I pictured the parents, Mary and George. I could see them in my mind, mourning, in the kind of fashions of the day. The pain however, of burying two infants I can't even begin to imagine.

After the nature walk we stopped off at a burial ground just down the block from the house. I've visited this one often. Aidan spotted a Revolutionary War soldier's grave and he started leaving acorn presents on the tops of the tombstones. :) We read some inscriptions, but most are illegible now, and the boys played.

I shot these with the digital to have quick access to them.

light and shadow 2
Light and Shadow

colorful
Colorful

peeking
Peeking
Julia
Julia

the light
The Light


Phineas
Phineas

Our co-op will be going to another old cemetery to do gravestone rubbings. I'm looking forward to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment