Monday, September 20, 2010

Long Arm Lugh Shish-ka-bobs

I'm having a lot of fun littering the boys paths with fun things to learn. I really like that way of going about 'home schooling.' I was recently reading a book on unschooling, and the author described her job as an unschooling parent this way. By giving the child interesting things strewn along their 'path', they will choose the things that interest them, and the learning stems from there. Seems like a very peaceful way of going about this whole thing.

I recently told the boys the story of Lugh. With their wooden castle and little wooden people, we had a sort of puppet show and I related the myth of this Celtic God / King to them. Additionally, I sang to them the Reclaiming Song 'Sun King'.

http://reclaimingquarterly.org/free/download/LughSunKing.mp3

Oh tell me why...
Oh tell me why...
Tell me why do the clouds come to darken the sky?


Oh tell me why...
Oh tell me why...
Tell me why do the clouds come to darken the sky?

This is the wake of Lugh, The Sun King,
He lost his life on the Solstice Day.
This is the wake of Lugh, The Sun King,
He steps into the dartk and guides the way...

They loved the song and I think I've probably sung it to them 200 times since. A few weeks later I played the song on the stereo from the Reclaiming CD. I should have had the camera ready for Ciaran's expression. He was so excited, his mouth simply hung open and yet it was a huge smile at the same time.


Instead, here are a few pictures of them when we made Long Arm Lugh Shish-ka-bob's out of some later summer fruits. As we made them I told them about Lugh's magical spear...






Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment